For 12 Standard Shells Or 22 Small Shells Or 6 Standard Shells and 12 Small Shells
120g Plain Flour
30g Vegetable oil, Margarine, Butter or Lard (at room temperature)
A pinch salt (about 1 or 2 grams)
A rolling pin
Flour for dusting
Pastry cutters (85-90mm for standard shells, 65-70mm for small shells)
The following method will make some great scotch pie lids, but if you’re in a rush, roll out some puff pastry really thin and cut out your lids – they’ll do a great job too!
1. Place the flour, salt and fat into a mixing bowl and mix together for about 30 seconds
2. Add the water and mix together until you have one piece of dough.
3. Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough for about 5 minutes – this will give you an excellent arm workout!
4. Dust your work surface with flour again and begin rolling out the dough gently in all directions – the most important thing to achieve here is that the dough is thin!
5. Once the dough is about 2mm thick, start cutting out your lids.
To make your Scotch Pies with that traditional look, cut a 5mm hole right in the middle of your lids.