This filling uses minced meat and our special gravy mix. It produces a lovely tender, flavoursome, rich filling with a lightly spiced gravy sauce. Can be lidded with scotch pie lids or puff pastry. Highly recommended.
For 12 Standard Shells Or 22 Small Shells Or 6 Standard Shells and 12 Small Shells
780g your choice of minced meat (Mutton, Lamb, Pork, Beef, Turkey, and Chicken)
1 pack of our special gravy mix
A rolling pin
Flour for dusting
Lids to suit (see our fun,easy pie lids recipe here)
Pastry cutters (85-90mm for standard shells, 65-70mm for small shells)
1. Choose your minced meat, any lean cut is good
2. Place the mince in a small, deep pot and cover with 160ml of water
3. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered for 1 – 1 ½ hours, until the meat is tender (chicken and turkey may take less time, so keep an eye on it!)
(Now is a good time to heat up your oven to 180 Degrees Celsius, 360 Degrees Fahrenheit, Gas Mark 4-5)
4. To make up the gravy – empty your pack of Special Gravy Mix into a container and add 50 ml of cold water. Stir well until there are no lumps and the mix is smooth.
5. Pour the gravy into the pot, stirring all the time – the mix should thicken as you pour. Make sure you stir thoroughly to disperse the gravy evenly.
6. Take the pot off the heat, the filling is now ready.
8. Fill each shell with the same amount, using up all the filling.
9. Lid the pies using your scotch pie lids (or puff pastry – it’s up to you), by pinching the lid just below the rim.
10. Place the pies on a baking tray, ensuring that the pies are not touching each other and then place them in the oven on the middle shelf.
12. Cook for 15 minutes (by now, the glorious aroma of baking pies should be filling your kitchen!), turn the tray round and cook for another 15 mins.
You will know the pies are ready when the lids and the bases are golden brown. The filling will be bubbling hot. The smell will be irresistible – enjoy!!