For 12 Standard Shells Or 22 Small Shells Or 6 Standard Shells and 12 Small Shells
750g your choice of meat cut (Mutton, Lamb, Pork, Beef, Turkey, and Chicken)
1 pack of our special gravy mix
1lb puff pastry rolled and cut for lids to suit
A rolling pin
Flour for dusting
Pastry cutters (85-90mm for standard shells, 65-70mm for small shells)
1. Choose your filling, any lean cut is good –and take off any fat or gristle (Yuk!)
2. Cut into cubes of approximately 2- 3cm.
3. Place the cubes in a small, deep pot and cover with 200ml of water
4. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered for 1 – 1 ½ hours, until the meat is tender (chicken and turkey may take less time, so keep an eye on it!)
(Now is a good time to heat up your oven to 180 Degrees Celsius, 360 Degrees Fahrenheit, Gas Mark 4-5)
5. To make up the gravy – empty your pack of Special Gravy Mix into a container and add 50 ml of cold water. Stir well until there are no lumps and the mix is smooth.
6. Pour the gravy into the pot, stirring all the time – the mix should thicken as you pour. Make sure you stir thoroughly to disperse the gravy evenly.
7. Take the pot off the heat, the filling is now ready.
8. Fill each shell with the same amount, using up all the filling.
9. Roll out the puff pastry to about 3mm thick, cut out the lids and place on top of the filling.
10. Lightly brush the lids with milk or egg – this will give them a lovely shiny golden finish when they are baked.
11. Place the pies on a baking tray, ensuring that the pies are not touching each other and then place them in the oven on the middle shelf.
12. Cook for 15 minutes (by now, the glorious aroma of baking pies should be filling your kitchen!), turn the tray round and cook for another 15 mins.
You will know the pies are ready when the lids and the bases are golden brown. The filling will be bubbling hot. The smell will be irresistible – enjoy!!