Try some of these
great DIY Pie recipes
For 12 Standard Shells Or 22 Small Shells Or 6 Standard Shells and 12 Small Shells
420g Dried macaroni
170g Plain Flour
250ml Milk (Semi skimmed will work just fine too)
4 teaspoons of english mustard (French is fine too)
Grated cheddar cheese (how much is dependent on your taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
A medium sized pot
(If you'd like to lid your pies:
1lb puff pastry rolled and cut for lids to suit
A rolling pin
Flour for dusting
Pastry cutters (85-90mm for standard shells, 65-70mm for small shells))
See our simple,
tasty and fun lid recipe!
Macaroni and Cheese Pie (Mac & Cheese)
1. Boil the macaroni (in salted water if required) according to the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Whilst the macaroni is boiling, finely chop the onion and grate some cheddar cheese.
3. Take the cooked macaroni, drain and set aside.
4. Add the butter to the pot, melt on a low heat and add the onion - gently sweat the onion until soft.
5. Add the plain flour slowly and stir all the time to incorporate.
6. Once the flour is incorporated, add the mustard and then slowly add the milk, stirring all the time.
7. You are looking for a runny consistency, so that the back of a spoon will be coated when dipped in the sauce - add more milk if required.
8. Add grated cheddar cheese to your taste.
9. Add some cracked black pepper to season to your taste.
(Heat up your oven to 180 Degrees Celsius, 360 Degrees Fahrenheit, Gas Mark 4-5)
10. Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and make sure the mixture is well mixed.
10. Evenly fill the shells with your mixture, resisting the temptation to scoff all your mixture first!
(If you’d like to lid your pies:
11. Roll out the puff pastry to about 3mm thick, cut out the lids and place on top of the filling.
12. Lightly brush the lids with milk or egg – this will give them a lovely shiny golden finish when they are baked.)
13. Place the pies on a baking tray, ensuring that the pies are not touching each other and then place them in the oven on the middle shelf.
14. Cook for 12 minutes (by now, the glorious aroma of baking pies should be filling your kitchen!)
15. Remove the pies from the oven and grate some of your favourite cheese over the macaroni, or over the lids if you’ve lidded your pies. Some ground black pepper over the cheese is also a firm favourite.
16. Bake for a further 10-12 minutes, keep and eye on your pies until the cheese is bubbling and browned – delicious.
There really is nothing quite like a freshly baked mac & cheese pie straight from the oven. Enjoy!!